The Ragamuffin Kid

occasional rumblings of the bedraggled, beat-up and burnt-out

My Photo
Name:

I am a traveller on my way Home, passing through this little land. It's a lovely place, though nothing compared to where I'm heading, I was told. I have journeyed through several valleys. Not the kindest place I must say. But hey, I've had some "mountain top" experiences too. They made me long for Home. I heard there are no valleys at Home. I have met some fellow travellers along the way. But mostly find myself among locals. If you're local, please bear with my quirkiness. I know my accent and ways are puzzling sometimes. If you're a fellow traveller, keep going. We should be reaching soon. Bon voyage!

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Unity In Diversity

I mentioned in an entry early this year that a couple of us in the office is starting a prayer meeting during lunch hour. It's coming to 5 months now and still going strong. We have more people in the group now than when we first started.

Ours is a strange combination because we are from different churches and occasionally a non-believer would pop in to check us out. With such a combination, there are bound to be difference of views and doctrines. More on views, I would say, than serious doctrine clash. At times, I can't help but feel out of place due to my unorthodox beliefs. Haha....so I tend to stick out like a sore thumb sometimes. But they were all kind and gentle enough not to make me feel too awkward.

I have been with my church ever since the day I converted. I wasn't saved in this church but started attending it the week after my conversion and have stuck with it since. Strange, I know. Most people would be attending the church they got saved in. But hey, NCC got me addicted to Jesus and I thought that's cool enough for me to want to stay. In this 5 years, I began to realize as I interact with people from other churches and as I explore the writings of other Christian thinkers, that my church can be quite different on certain issues. Nothing too serious but enough to stand out like a sore thumb during sharing time with other believers. I do not always agree with my church's views but they sure got at least one (actually there are much more) crucial thing right and that is, the message of grace. Pastor preaches it the way it is in the Bible. No watering it down. It is such a life transforming and liberating message. That in itself is enough to keep me hooked. And our dear pastor, for the life of me, I couldn't quite figure out how he managed to preach 4 services back to back every Sunday and yet exhibit the same fiery passion in all his preaching. One can't help but catch some of that vibe.

Besides being the odd one out, I also struggle with praying for one another in the group. I do not attend a cell-group like most Christians do due to family commitments. So I am seriously lacking in practice of praying aloud for each another. Most times I feel really stupid after praying for my co-workers. My words seem to get all tangled up with my thoughts. But despite feeling like an utter loser and a fool, I will not let this stop me from praying. God is the target of my prayers. As long as he knows what I mean, that's all that really matters. And God always know what we mean. Even before we speak. Thank heavens!

Despite the differences we have and feelings of inadequacy, we are still very much committed to meeting up every fort night as the universal body of Christ, to share and encourage one another. And I think this is something truly awesome. That a diverse group of people, each with their own shortcomings, weirdness but also beauty are drawn together in fellowship by that one person, Jesus Christ.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. - St Paul

Sadly, the present day church still falls short of this vision. May it be a reality one day, even as the Head is returning soon.

rk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home