The Ragamuffin Kid

occasional rumblings of the bedraggled, beat-up and burnt-out

My Photo
Name:

I am a traveller on my way Home, passing through this little land. It's a lovely place, though nothing compared to where I'm heading, I was told. I have journeyed through several valleys. Not the kindest place I must say. But hey, I've had some "mountain top" experiences too. They made me long for Home. I heard there are no valleys at Home. I have met some fellow travellers along the way. But mostly find myself among locals. If you're local, please bear with my quirkiness. I know my accent and ways are puzzling sometimes. If you're a fellow traveller, keep going. We should be reaching soon. Bon voyage!

Thursday, June 16, 2005

About Amy

This morning at the office, I dropped by to observe a co-worker administer a jab for another friend. Our friend, Amy was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) early this year.

Amy is a gentle little Thai lady with a big heart and a courageous spirit. I saddens me to watch her struggle through a series of bad news. Two years ago she decided to adopt her, then 3 year old, nephew to give him a better life and a brighter future in Singapore. Her brother who was stricken with cancer a year earlier passed on shortly after, leaving behind his son and wife in Chiang Mai, Thailand. His wife had to seek employment in another city in Thailand and had to place her young son in the care of his grandparents. Amy decided that his nephew will have a brighter future here and so seek permission from the boy's mother to bring him to Singapore, to love him and bring him up like her own. That was the beginning of an adoption process that stretched for more than a year. Amy was then living with her daughter. Her husband was tending his family business in Thailand and only came back occasionally to visit. It takes a lot of courage to take on such a huge responsibility single-handedly. I mean, we're talking about everything involved in raising another kid. And she is on her own most of the time. Fortunately her husband decided to come back to Singapore last year and seek employment here.

Just as we thought everything was gonna work out fine, Amy was diagnosed with RA. Her condition seem to deteriorate rapidly, crippling her movement. Just before she was admitted to the local hospital for a series of test and observation, she was all swollen and heavy due to the side effects of her medication. She was heavily drugged. When I visited her in the hospital 2 weeks ago, I was shocked to see exactly how much medication she has been under. It's a small bucket full! The side effects seems scarier than the disease itself. The new plan for her now is to take her new medication via a needle twice a weeks for 3 months. The costs of the medication alone is close to SGD$5000 for a 3 month course. That is a humongous bill. At the end of the 3 months, the doctors will determine the effectiveness of the medication and prescribe the next course of action.

To save costs, Amy sought our help to administer the jabs for her. The process of mixing and preparing the medication looks rather complex to me I am afraid I might get too nervous handling a needle. But if this is what I can do for her at this point, I would gladly do it.

If you could keep her in your prayers, I would be most appreciative.

rk

* posted with Amy's consent *

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home