The Ragamuffin Kid

occasional rumblings of the bedraggled, beat-up and burnt-out

My Photo
Name:

I am a traveller on my way Home, passing through this little land. It's a lovely place, though nothing compared to where I'm heading, I was told. I have journeyed through several valleys. Not the kindest place I must say. But hey, I've had some "mountain top" experiences too. They made me long for Home. I heard there are no valleys at Home. I have met some fellow travellers along the way. But mostly find myself among locals. If you're local, please bear with my quirkiness. I know my accent and ways are puzzling sometimes. If you're a fellow traveller, keep going. We should be reaching soon. Bon voyage!

Monday, September 19, 2005

Of Feast, Terrapins and Dragonflys

It was slow and quiet at the office today. My friends, those I usually do lunch with, already have lunch plans. I have not brought my guitar and have not been bringing a book along for weeks now. The heavy downpour this morning had left the sky overcast and the air fresh and cool. A PUURFECT time to do lunch again. The other time it was a blazing 32 degrees!

I plugged in my earphones (thank God I've brought these at least) and headed down that familiar path once again, maneuvering through puddles of water along the way, feet shuffling over dead leaves that lined the path way. The sound of the water generator grew louder as I approach, as though beckoning me to come. The rhythemic swish-ing and swash-ing cuts through the silence of the little tunnel, dark and musty. I looked up at it for a while, watching it turn and turn. Round and round it goes just like how this little globe is, seasons come and seasons go but the earth never stops spinning. It is no respecter of person. It does not stop for the Katrina, neither does it when men walked on the moon. It provides a certain stability in an otherwise unpredictable world. As surely as the sun rises each morning, so will we have the blessing of each new day. To laugh, to cry, to heal, to restore.

I moved on from there, up the muddy slope and into a lush landscape of shrubs and little ponds. I wonder how the terrapins are doing. They seem to recognize my presence by now. I walked right up to the bridge overlooking the pond and looked down at the murky waters. Almost instantly, I saw formless shadows gliding just beneath the water surface. I can tell the whole family is approaching. They were headed right towards me. Finally mother popped her head and was looking intently at me. Before long her family was gathering around her. At least 7 of them. A couple of younglings were trailing behind. One attempted to get on mommy’s back. It was quite a heart-warming sight. Our eyes locked for several seconds before she ducked back into the waters. I wonder how's life like for you, we seem say to each other with our gaze. How is it like to be a mother terrapin stuck in a little pond? Do you fret about providing for your offsprings, have marital problems just like us, play referee when your little ones fight among themselves? Do you suffer pain the way we humans do? Do you fall in love? Do you wonder about God?

I guess the answer went with her as she disappeared into the waters. I walked further up towards the edge of the pond. Just above a grassy patch by the rocks I spotted a little dragonfly buzzing around. She was a fuchsia pink, her entire body! As though she had just emerged from a bucket of fuchsia dye. I have not seen them in any color other than the standard golden brown. I was amused. Maybe it's not a dragon-fly. I don't know. I'm not good with such things but was thrilled nevertheless. Sometimes, being overly knowledgeable takes the surprise and awe out of everyday living. The more I know the less I'm awed. I think I'll leave the "knowing all" to God and just enjoy his creation.

With my weight resting on the handrail of the bridge and my arms stretched out, I closed my eyes and let my mind drift away to where ever she wills. I wonder how this world would be like if what they say is true, that the God of the Bible, the God if creation, who cares for His creation, does not exists? Would it be a better place? Would there be no evil, no good, no love, no beauty, no nothing.......just and empty meaningless existence? I don't know really, but what I do know is that my life has been enriched in a very meaningful way ever since God became a part of it.

I turned and make my way back to the office, as this piece by Jaci Velasquez began to play.



As long as stars shine down from heaven
And the rivers run into the sea
Til the end of time forever
You’re the only love I’ll need

In my life You’re all that matters
In my eyes the only truth I see
When my hopes and dreams have shattered
You’re the one that’s there for me

When I found You I was blessed
And I will never leave You, I need You

Imagine me without You
I’d be lost and so confused
I wouldn’t last a day, I’d be afraid
Without You there to see me through

Imagine me without You
Lord, You know it’s just impossible
Because of You, it’s all brand new
My life is now worthwhile
I can’t imagine me without You

When You caught me I was falling
Your love lifted me back on my feet
It was like You heard my calling
And You rush to set me free

When I found You I was blessed
And I will never leave You, I need You

Imagine me without You
I’d be lost and so confused
I wouldn’t last a day, I’d be afraid
Without You there to see me through

Imagine me without You
Lord, You know it’s just impossible
Because of You, it’s all brand new
My life is now worthwhile
I can’t imagine me without You

Thank you Lord, I've had a feast.

rk

1 Comments:

Blogger sirenXperience said...

wow! my favourite song! you rock! :-)

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home