The Ragamuffin Kid

occasional rumblings of the bedraggled, beat-up and burnt-out

My Photo
Name:

I am a traveller on my way Home, passing through this little land. It's a lovely place, though nothing compared to where I'm heading, I was told. I have journeyed through several valleys. Not the kindest place I must say. But hey, I've had some "mountain top" experiences too. They made me long for Home. I heard there are no valleys at Home. I have met some fellow travellers along the way. But mostly find myself among locals. If you're local, please bear with my quirkiness. I know my accent and ways are puzzling sometimes. If you're a fellow traveller, keep going. We should be reaching soon. Bon voyage!

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

A Day @ CCIS

12noon
Right now I am sitting in a makeshift tentage just outside Orchard MRT. I am a volunteer at CCIS (Celebrate Christmas In Singapore), a first of its kind event involving a good number of churches in Singapore with the support of the Singapore Tourism Board. I volunteered for a couple of days but due to an overwhelming response of volunteers, the committee decided that I need only come for one day.

Hey, wait a minute. I hear something. Christmas carols on mega speakers just outside at the park on a hot Tuesday afternoon! It feels kinda weird to be hearing carols in broad daylight. I love carols. Day or night, it doesn't matter. It feels wonderful to be serving the King of Kings, though it is pretty quiet in the afternoon over here.

I should have brought my guitar to parctice on. I'm still undecided if I should skip class this Thursday to catch my church's performance that evening. My guitar instructor is moving a little too fast for me. I am usually lost halfway through the class. I am finding it difficult to catch up with the younger ones. So missing a class might pose a big problem for me the following week. I'd have missed a couple of new notes and cords. A few is bad news enough for me. The thought of starting my next class in a state of lost is not exactly welcoming. Last week, I had a mental block when my instructor picked students at random to play solo. Suddenly my mind went blank. I couldn't read a single note. They looked like a bunch of beansprouts thrown at random. Don't you think music notes looked a lot like beansprouts? I thought I would black out if the instructor picked on me. Thank God (literally) that he bypassed me! I think I prayed more than I played that night. But will try to keep the Energizer spirit alive - Never Say Die! I'm happy to be finally learning t play a musical instrument.

I've always admired people who are musically talented. There also seem to be an air of mystery in them. Music is a very good medium to connect us with the spiritual side of life. Perhaps that is why music is an important part of worship in the christian church. It helps usher us into God's presence. I hope to be able to master the skill enough to be able to play some of my favourite pieces someday.

Oh boy! It's freaking hot right now. The air-con and fans are working overtime to keep the few of us here cool enough to be comfortable. I am beginning to feel out of sort. Think the heat might have gotten to me. I hope it is just a passing symptom. I've been looking forward to meet up with a dear friend tomorrow. I don't wanna miss that for anything.

3:30pm
It's starting to pick-up a little now. More volunteers are coming in to report for duty. I hope we'll have God's favour to be able to do this every year. I'd love to volunteer again.

My best friend called me a while ago to thank me for the earings I gave her for Christmas.

"Hey, thanks for the earings. I love it!" she gushed.
"What? You opened them already? It's not Christmas yet" I said.
"Well, yeah but it's a special day for me today" she said, sounding a little dissapointed.
"Oh, what special day is it?" I asked innocently.
"It's my birthday"

I felt awfull. Some friend I am. But she was most gracious and forgiving. I promised I'd buy her lunch another day. This time I better not forget.

Truth is, I've been very busy this month, especially this Christmas week. I have not been able to keep up with my regular activites and schedules. I don't have time to keep up with updates on Sly either. The last I heard of him was he did not do very well for Dick Lee's Anniversary Concert last week. I hope the media and public, especially his fans are forgiving enough. I'm looking forward to the year-end countdown next week. Sly will be performing. I really hope he will put up a good performance to make up for last weeks blunder.

4pm
It's really baking in here. My head is spinning a little and my nose is beginning to run. But with prayer warriors praying round the clock just behind our tentage, I can trust God to keep all of us strong and healthy. I have to take my hat off to these people. I was told there are different groups of people coming into the prayer tent throughout the day to pray for the whole CCIS event. And the prayer tent is not air-conditioned mind you.

I'm gonna take another toilet break. Will get back again with more updates later.

5pm
Nothing much has changed for the last hour except there are more volunteers in the tent now. The performing groups have also begun rehersing, in the hot sun......arrghh. I hope to be able to catch some of the performances this week.

00:46am
It was a pretty smooth day at the command post this afternoon. Traffic picked up after my last updated, so I could not continue.

There is one more thing I want to log in before I call it a day. I got home this evening and saw a card addressed to me, lying on my dining table. It was a Christmas card from an old friend. In it is a simple message that I will treasure for a long long time.

"..... so much to say to you but nothing can compare to this -> Thank You, Thank You ,Thank You.....dear friend"

In my entire life, I have never felt as happy and satisfied as when I know I have played a role in changing someone else's life for the better by introducing them to Christ. I believe with all my heart that the best gift I can ever give anyone is the gift of knowing God for themselves. I have tasted it and I know it is true.

When I brought Jen to church a few years back, her marriage was falling apart and there was much disharmony within her own family and those of her parents and siblings. Within a year or two her husband, daughter and mother came to know the peace that came through Christ and life has taken a whole new meaning for them ever since. It wasn't smooth sailing all the time but we can see the difference that Christ has brought into their lives.

What greater satisfaction can be compared to this?

01:19am
I'm tired and sleepy. So I'm calling it a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home