The Ragamuffin Kid

occasional rumblings of the bedraggled, beat-up and burnt-out

My Photo
Name:

I am a traveller on my way Home, passing through this little land. It's a lovely place, though nothing compared to where I'm heading, I was told. I have journeyed through several valleys. Not the kindest place I must say. But hey, I've had some "mountain top" experiences too. They made me long for Home. I heard there are no valleys at Home. I have met some fellow travellers along the way. But mostly find myself among locals. If you're local, please bear with my quirkiness. I know my accent and ways are puzzling sometimes. If you're a fellow traveller, keep going. We should be reaching soon. Bon voyage!

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Lost In Translation?

I've attempted to read the work of Thomas Kempis' Imitation Of Christ twice but could barely move beyond a few chapters each time. This is supposed to be a well loved classic Christian literature by a medieval monk. The modern translation is easy to read and understand. I have no problem with that. My problem is the relational part. I can't seem to be able to relate to it somehow. Maybe because it was written primarily for monks living in monasteries. Maybe some of it's magic was lost in translation. Maybe because of the way it was written. Maybe because it was written my a mystic. Maybe because it's too philosophical. Maybe because I tried to read it like any other book when it was meant to be read as a daily devotional. Maybe because I am expecting too much.

So I'm putting it back in the shelf for now. I know I'll dip into it again from time to time. The volume of excellent reviews can't be ignored. I know there is something I'm missing. But next time I'll read it like I would Oswald Chamber's My Utmost For His Highest - one numbered passage at a time.

For now, I think I'll go pick up Philip Yancey's The Jesus I Never Knew. It left a deep impression on me when I first read it as a young Believer. I wonder what will I take away this time.


rk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home